Progressive Web Apps is one of the most booming terms in the web world and has gained unparalleled momentum among practitioners of the web-driven world. It is now no more surprising because Progressive Web Apps has made a far-fetched dream of installing web apps on a smartphone for real. Have ever wished for the same, or wished for your web apps to behave more like a real app? Well hold on tight, PWAs desired to make that happen.
What is Progressive Web App (PWAs)?
Progressive Web Apps are the experiences that combine the best of both: the best of web and the best of apps. PWAs are nothing but websites that look and feel the same as native mobile apps, with the combined features of modern web browser and the benefits of a mobile experience. Progressive Web Application does not require any type of installation, hence useful to each user from their very first visit to the browser tab. As the user progressively build a connection with the app over time, it will become more and more powerful. It will start loading quickly, even on the flaky network, send the push notification and gives the full-screen experience. Moreover, PWAs has offline support, background synchronization support and other top-notched features. Plus, they can access your location, webcam and other peripherals or details that any native app seek. And of course, it will ask for your permissions.
What makes the PWAs so special over Native Apps?
According to Alex Russell, who coined a term – PWAs is: ‘Just websites that took all the right vitamins’ The web is widely reachable and is the biggest platform on the internet. Yet, it is noticed that users spend a lot more time on native apps. Why is so? Well, the reason is, the smooth experience and engagement the native apps provide. And that is exactly what PWAs offer. A combination of the ease of access and the reach of the web, along with the immersive experience of the native apps. According to Google, the Google Progressive Web Apps are:
- Progressive: The word progressive means it works for every user, regardless of the browser choice because they are built with progressive enhancement as a core tenet.
- Responsive: Automatically fits/adjust to any form size: Desktop, Mobile, Tablet or whatever is next.
- Load time: PWAs are instantly available.
- Connectivity independent: PWAs are having enhanced connectivity with the service workers to work on low-quality networks and offline.
- App-like: It feels like a mobile app with app-style interactions since it is built on the app shell model. The app shell model separates the application functionalities from application content.
- Secure: Served under the https to prevent snooping and it also ensures that the content is securely delivered.
- Need not to Update: Due to the service worker update process, PWAs are always up-to-date, so there is no need to update it again and again, like the other Android or iOS apps.
- Linkable: It does not require any complex requirement and can be shared using the URLs, meaning they’re zero-friction, zero-install, and easy to share.
- Re-Engaging: Features like push-notifications make it re-engaging.
- Discoverable: PWAs are identifiable as an app, thanks to W3C manifest and the service workers registration scope, allows search engines to find it.
- Installable: Allows users to add apps on their home screen without talking to an app store.
Benefits of a Progressive Web App Development over fully functional Mobile App
Now, as we’ve already looked at the universally-beneficial qualities of PWA Progressive Web Apps, let’s switch the gear. – Every project is different in its own way, but there are a handful of archetypes in which most of the web projects tend to fail. However, each of those archetypes can derive the real benefits from running as a PWA.
Additionally, Progressive Web App Development is a cost-effective solution for any app publisher when it comes to development and maintenance. Because it is assumed that the development of a website is a lot easier than making an Android app. Unlike any other mobile app development, the PWAs are not restricted to any specific platform. It means there is no need for the development of a separate version for different platform.
Here are some of the benefits of Progressive Web Apps.
Working of Progressive Web Apps
PWAs are getting popular each passing day as it enhanced via modern web technologies to give us an app-like experience. It will get you an icon on your home screen. The Technologies used by PWAs include:
- Cache API and IndexedDB for a quick loading
- Fetch APIs for easy data requests
- Web Apps manifests files to provide name, icon, author and description
- HTTPS for security
- Service workers and push notifications for the background tasks
PWAs are not similar to Google’s Chrome Apps or Microsoft’s Hosted Web Apps. These applications are packed as a file (small offline bundles) and will be submitted to the app store for users to install and use from Chrome web store or Windows store, also they are platform specific – either work on chrome or windows. On the other hand, PWAs are not packed into small offline bundles. They are being hosted on a server of the website. The updates will be done the same as the websites are being updated. Hence, all the browsers and platforms that support PWA can use the same app. As a specific term, websites will be tested against ensuing baseline criteria to qualify as a Progressive Web App:
- It must run under https
- It must include a Web App Manifest
- It must implement a service worker
The biggest advantage of PWA is code stability. The same version of any app can be used for both, mobile and desktop versions. PWAs can also be enlisted in a mobile app store for a quick installation. However, on the backend, the app store will simply point to a PWA server.
Are PWAs really the future of the web?
As per the Google IO 2018, Progressive Web Apps is coming to desktop with the new Chrome67. Hence the subject got way too hotter now. Here are some reasons to convince every business how Progressive Web App Development Services will dominate in the future.
- Low budget
- Lightweight and easy to create
- Cross-platform compatibility
- Easy installation
- Boosts conversion
- Competitive advantage
- Easy to expand
- Quick installation on any device
- Includes push notification options
- Reduces data usage and loading time
When you create an app or website, it takes a lot to attract a new customer base. Users visit more new websites than downloading any mobile app. Google has published case studies, which clearly proves how Progressive Web Apps are improving technical and business performance. Moreover, PWAs are SEO friendly by creating progressive web apps, you can cover more users.
Here is the name of popular companies that have embraced PWAs
- BookMyShow, and Trivago.
It’s your turn now, Progressive Web App Development may seem beyond the needs of your product/project, but they’re really not. They’re just a quality web experience that your users are in love with. If you hadn’t considered this before, I hope after reading this you might have changed your mind.
At Kunsh Technologies, we walk parallel to the latest trends and technologies. Hire Our dedicated Web App Developers ready to work with any modern PWA project. They are all armed with technical capabilities and analytical skills to provide economically viable business solutions. If you want to create a progressive web app for your business, do contact us.